On Thursday afternoon around 2 pm, I received a call from Brooks which stated he had an unusual strong burst of pain in his chest followed by warmth and nausea.
We decided he should call the doctor and call me back.
Just a short 5 mins later, my phone was ringing and he said he was on his way to the ER.
I am no stranger to the ER. I think of Hospitals as more of my second home, since I have spent many days and nights in one, but this wasn't me. It's him. The guy who wont go to see a doctor unless he truly thinks he's dying. He is on his way to the hospital. With chest pain.
I didn't know what to think, so I simply gathered a few of my things at work, shot out an email saying I had something come up, and headed to meet him in the ER.
After running test, it was determined that he had a spasm of the esophagus. In other words, his esophagus contracted longer than usual and when the muscles finally decided to release it felt like something "popped" or burst inside his chest. This was followed by a warming sensation and then the nausea. According to webMD, which must be correct because it is on the internet, it says this type of spasm mimics a heart attack.
His EKG came back great. We did learn he has a premature heart beat from time to time, but that is normal and nothing to be of concern. All of his other blood work came back fine.
Yes, I said blood work.
Yes, they drew blood from him.
Yes, he told the poor nurse she had one shot and that she should bring some strong guys with her.
Another nurse ended up taking his blood.
Oh, I should mention, Brooks HATES needles.
The guy with several tattoos, yes, he hates needles. He does not give blood in any circumstance or receive shots. He's such a big, burly man with callused hands and he hate's needles.
Thankfully, they were able to get blood on the first try! He gave blood without fainting. We both were happy! (So was the nurse!)
All in all, we racked up more medical bills (Accumulating medical bills is something we do as a family, apparently Brooks was feeling a bit left out) and we learned that he is in excellent health overall.
AND he gets the great honor and JOY of staying alive and married to me one day more.
I told him if he wanted to spend one-on-one time with me there were more romantic ways, and besides the whole hospital thing is mine, so he needs to find something else. He can't touch my record! (Another story of another day)

Ragamuffin...Love your blog. Love you even more!
ReplyDeleteUncle Tim
Thank you Uncle Tim! I love you! Can't wait to see you soon!
DeleteYou guys are a mess. You def married the right guy.
ReplyDelete