I myself can not serve for this great and mighty country (remember the arms fall off), but have a tremendous respect for those who chose to make that sacrifice.
If you know me, I cry every time the national anthem is played or at patriotic services/ceremonies.
So I would like to thank those who have proudly severed our country and their families who supported them.
I am proud to thank my personal relatives who served and my Uncle Tim (mentioned below) who helped me gather my history:
Captain Scott M. Fitzgerald, US Army. Combat in Desert Storm (US vs Iraq, 1991). Aviator.
Lieutenant Colonel Timothy P. Fitzgerald. No combat duty. Served in the US Army during various actions including Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Just Cause, Provide Comfort, among others. Quartermaster Officer.
CPT Patti Fitzgerald, combat duty, Operation Iraqi Freedom. Baghdad Iraq.
Tech Sergeant Frank B. Fitzgerald, Jr. US Air Force. No combat duty. Served during the Korean War. Stationed at Biloxi, Mississippi and Donaldson Air Base, Greenville, SC. Trained as a radar repairman but served mostly as a Drill Instructor.
War of 1812: Captain Edmund Fitzgerald, Jr.
Civil War: Samuel Fitzgerald (born 1843), Served with Company I (Spring Garden Blues), 18th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Captured at Gettysburg, probably released in a POW swap, and captured again the battle of Saylers Creek, (Amelia County, Virginia) three days before the surrender at Appomattox court house.
Revolutionary War: First Lieutenant "Old" Edmund Fitzgerald (called such because he lived to be 103 years of age).
Moses Ayers, Army, rank unknown (same as below) Buried in Hart County GA (just across Hartwell Lake)
French and Indian War: Moses Ayers, Army, rank unknown. Said to have served under George Washington
And to all the friends and acquaintances who are currently serving or have served.
Thank you.
I am proud to be an American and I thank you for defending our future and freedom.
Thank you Erin! How kind of you.
ReplyDelete